Monday, October 28, 2013

Two-fer Race Recap!

I'm totally getting this 13 races in 2013 thing done!  Race #10 was the Fire Paramedic service 10 km.  I had a great time and although it wasn't a personal best, I was within 45 seconds of it.  Baha!  I've had three 10 km's this year in the 1:21:xx.  My friend Nicole on the other hand . . . SPEEDY!!!!  You'll see.
Before the race!

SUCCESS!!!
So Nicole finishes about 35 minutes before me.  She gets her bag and then comes back to the finish line to wait for me patiently.  Then she says "hey do you mind if we head over to the auditorium for the awards?  I may have won something".  Ummm what? OF COURSE!  Hehe - if she can wait 35 minutes for me to make my way to the finish line, I definitely have time to see if you won something!  We couldn't find a race result posting so we just went to the auditorium and waited for it to start.  They did a few little speeches and then started with the 5 km top 3 finishers of female and male and then here it comes "For the 10 km, top three finishers, in third place Nicole Speedypants!"  Yes, I whooped super loud and then cheered like crazy as she ran up to collect her extra medal and swag.  47 minutes and change.  And that wasn't even her fastest, she was first place female summer before last in a 10 km race at 43 minutes.  It was also 38 C/104 F that day.  Hotter with the humidity.  I'd have died, surely.
Nicole in her super fast shoes.

One more for the wall!
Next up, Race #11, my first Halloween themed race.  This was a Twilight Run - Spooky Series - 5 km.  Thankfully, the only spooky part is that it's dark out.  Like black.  We are out on a trail in the forest and the only light is our headlamps.  No people jumping out at us so phew!!  My Disney ears got used my friend Steph and I made myself a crayon.  The run was good.  I was slower than normal.  I caught up to a girl from my previous clinic and she was struggling so I just started walking when she needed to walk.  I had a moment where I considered just wishing her well and running on but it's SUPER DARK and although we were safe, I didn't want to leave her alone out there.  It was the right decision because the next day, she wrote on our run club facebook page how much it meant to her that I stayed with her and it was just what she needed.  Definitely made the right decision.

Beer is the new medal. :)

Now Race #12, I haven't added to my race page yet because it will be part of another post that is super exciting (I think) and involves my upcoming 40th birthday!!!  

I have loved reading all the race recap posts lately.  Fall is heavy race season and with so many people running big ones that just passed and big ones coming up, it's so inspiring and has me thinking about a full marathon.  One day.  One day.  I just have to pick which big one I want to do and what year i want to do it.  I'm looking at Chicago and New York in particular.  Maybe even Toronto.  Chicago and New York are top two though.  

If you've done a full marathon, where was it & did you love it?  Or if you were ever to do a full, which one would you do?

In two days, I'm flying to see my favourite little peanut!!!  I'll be wearing my crayon costume again to take her trick-or-treating.  Candy candy candy!




4 comments:

  1. Way to go on your events. I've missed running. Still trying to heal my body. Can't wait to get back to it!!

    Have a Fit Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The WFPS was a great race...I still think you bring me luck! Your Crayola costume turned out great!! Haha, beer SHOULD be the new medal. So exciting you're going to make your 13 in 13 goal, and you did it with a great variety of races. Can't wait to see the little cutie's costume this year - hope you have a great time trick or treating together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your races!!!!!! Love the crayola outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was to ever run a marathon it would be NYC or Chicago. But I'm not sure I want to commit to 5+ hours of running.

    ReplyDelete